King George V field


Banner Image © Tim Clarke

Hagg Field up for sale

In May 1937 the Joint Treasurers of the Patterdale Parish Council launched a public appeal, urging the public to buy ‘one of the most beautiful fields in the whole country…to enable the Cricket and Football clubs and the Sheep Dog Trials to continue their activities as hitherto’

The Hagg Field, as it was then known, was to be sold as one of the lots in the sale of the Patterdale Hall Estate in 1937.

With thanks to James Sowerby

Hagg Field bought by public subscription

The Public Appeal was successful. Hagg Field was bought by Public Subscription for £750.


With thanks to Patterdale Parish Council
With thanks to Patterdale Parish Council

Hagg field becomes King George V field


"The Hagg field was bought by public subscription in 1937 and received grants from the King George V National Playing Fields and is now known as the King George V playing field, Patterdale, and is administered by a local committee including the Trustees. It is beautifully situated and has the park land to the south on which the Sheepdog trials are run. It has excellent football hockey and cricket pitches, two hard tennis courts given by Mr and Mrs Temperley, Green Rigg, and a Bowling Green given to the valley by Mr Daltry, Leas school after the war."


Extract from Chronicles of Patterdale (1957)

Extract from Chronicles of Patterdale, with thanks to Patterdale WI


History of King George V field transfer

New Pavilion opens 2021


Almost 64 years have passed since the Chronicles of Patterdale article was written, and two major new developments are underway.

The first follows a decision taken in 2017 by the Trustees managing the King George V Field facilities to build an entirely new Community Pavilion, serving the needs of the ‘Dalesmen’ cricket team, that has been in existence since 1923, and the Football club – the Ullswater United Football Club, that has been in existence even longer. The old wooden pavilion, constructed in the 1930s, was no longer fit for purpose. A design was completed, planning permission sought, and a fund-raising target of £250,000 set.

Old Pavilion

By mid 2021 the £250,000 target had been raised through a variety of sources, including £60,000 from local fund-raising efforts. Grants have been received from a range of funding sources, including Eden District Council, Sport England, the Lottery, Patterdale Parish Council and Cumbria Community Foundation. England Cricketing legend, Graham Gooch, passed by in September 2018 to lend his support.

The pavilion is now ready for use, as soon as COVID restrictions are lifted. When finally in operation the new Community centre is expected to generate about £15,000 per year.

New Pavilion

New tennis courts on the way


A fund-raising effort was launched in 2020 to completely re-furbish the two tennis courts that were established in 1939 – the time of wooden rackets and flowing skirts – from a generous donation by local residents Elsa and Ridley Temperley.

The fundraising has been successful and the funds raised will fully resurface the two courts and provide new fencing and additional multi-sport markings to allow other sports to be played such as Netball and Basketball. The refurbishment work began in early September 2021 and will be substantially complete by mid October. Final painting of the new surface will now need to wait for better weather in spring 2022.


www.gofundme.com/f/patterdaletenniscourts